Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Santa Rosa MacBook Pros : Is it time to switch religions ? ?

Within minutes of reading the Engadget and Gizmodo feeds from google reader about the apple store being down in anticipation of an update, I went to Apple.com and sure enough, I see two giant images of the new MacBook Pros on the frontpage.

Oh how I wish they'd just put "Santa Rosa" in there somewhere. I had to navigate all the way to this page and read about the 800Mhz frontside bus before I could confirm that these are indeed Santa Rosa based laptops.

My old trustee IBM bit the dust a few months back and went to laptop heaven. The shop I went to tells me that unless there's some sentimental value in bringing it back to life, I'd be better off buying a new one.

I've been a windows and linux user for as long as I can remember, frankly, buying a laptop with a different OS, even if it's unix based, is scary, specially if it's worth $1999 and up :-)

However, I have to admit both bootcamp and parallels (coherence mode) are tipping the scales in favor of a new Mac. Another problem is that by the time they get to Philippine shores, there'll be new portables to drool over ... and then the cycle continues ...

Which in itself is a good thing because it means I don't need a laptop, at least not yet, otherwise, I would've snapped up one as fast as I got my desktop.

2 comments:

  1. I was about to switch religions too, then I saw Father Steve's price.... I came back running to Devil Bill. For now I will cleanse again with Saint Tux.

    I just got a dv6000 to replace nico's zx5000, I won a bid in auctions that amounts to less than 75k PHP and has T7200 proc. Its nice and sleek, but now I know why HP business laptop are expensive. My old nx8220 feels more solid that this new dv6000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your analogy.
    I guess when it's prefixed with a "dv" it's meant to be a multimedia laptop.

    ReplyDelete