Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

Mike Abundo dissects Microsoft's new ad. I felt it is genuine and real. While price is not everything, I believe that one is more likely to find value for money with so many PC's (choices) on the market.

Just last week, a friend was shopping around at the SM Cyberzone, looking for a laptop. He was totally drooling over a macbook pro but accepts that he can't afford the Mac with the specs he needs. Lo and behold he found and bought a laptop for just P28,000 ($600). That laptop was a centrino core 2 duo with 2 GB of RAM and 160GB of HDD. When he told me, I couldn't believe it either. Note, though, that the price does not include the OS. He needed to shell out an extra P5,000 for Vista, he decided to save the P5,0000 and installed Ubuntu on it instead. ;-)

DISCLAIMER : I'm a PC ... a Linux PC :-)

1 comment:

  1. Fair enough! But CPU, RAM and Hard drive specs are not the only consideration. WEIGHT, display quality, battery life, and of course, actual quality of construction are important factors if you ever actually use your laptop :)

    That's why I picked a Macbook, not a Macbook pro. The top end macbook had the same specs as the low end macbook pro (except video and display size, but those are insignifigant for me, I am a programmer not a 3D designer.)

    Having lived with my Macbook for 1 year, it still feels brand new, and is 2 lbs lighter than anything I could get for $1000.

    To balance that, I hand built my workstation, and there is no way you can compare a Mac Pro to a home built workstation. No normal user can afford a Mac Pro, and the iMac is very limited.

    ReplyDelete