Sunday, December 23, 2007

NVIDIA Driver 169.07, Compiz and OpenSUSE 10.3

I left my PC to update overnight and I was surprised this morning after a reboot that Compiz isn't working anymore.

It seems the OpenSUSE updater upgraded the Nvidia drivers to version 169.07 but it broke Compiz in the process.

After some exhaustive googling I found the solution in this blog. It's in Italian and it seems meant for Ubuntu users but the code snippets were easy enough to follow and they worked for me on OpenSUSE 10.3

After installing the updates and rebooting, I noticed that compiz wasn't working anymore so I manually executed compiz from a gnome terminal and got this error ....

“No GLXFBConfig for default depth”

The solution according to M0rF3uS’ Ubuntu Blog is to execute the following in your terminal

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz -–no-libgl-fallback -–replace ccp &

Alternatively, if you use fusion-icon to launch compiz, open the file

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/data.py


and locate the line with compiz_args.

edit it so that it looks like

compiz_args = [’–replace’, ‘–sm-disable’, ‘–ignore-desktop-hints’, ‘ccp’, ‘–no-libgl-fallback’]

Then, open a terminal and execute

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 fusion-icon

UPDATE: This latest version of the NVIDIA drivers fixed the function keys that control the brightness on my T61. This means that I don't have to exit X windows anymore to adjust the brightness.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for pingback ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    what about the 'compiz-manager' script. Do you know what to change there?
    What do you think is the reason for that problem?

    I solved the problem with a manual installation of 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.23-pkg1.run'. That workes fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @m0rf3us

    You're very welcome. Thanks for sharing the info in your blog.

    @norbert

    Sorry, I don't use the compiz-manager. I'm not sure how the compiz-manager works but from m0rf3us tip above, I can see that he added --no-libgl-fallback as an additional parameter. Maybe see if there's anything in the compiz manager that passes parameters/arguments to compiz and try adding no-libgl-fallback.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete