Wednesday, November 21, 2007

VMware Server 2.0 Beta : Tempted ? Don't !!!

If you're tempted to give VMware 2.0 BETA for a spin, take my advice and wait.
Here are 2 compelling reasons why NOT ....
  • The VMware server console desktop application is gone. The only 2 ways to access your virtual machine is (a) thru the web browser by installing a plugin to view and control the console and (b) remote desktop access (e.g. vnc or rdp)
  • It installs tomcat and friends. It's possible that memory management on virtual machines may have improved on 2.0 but whatever memory you save will no doubt be consumed by the web server that serves up the web interface.
I for one am extremely disappointed that the server console is gone. It seems I am not alone. VMware server 2.0 would be great if I have a dedicated server to run all my virtual machines, problem is I and many others don't and VMware is forgetting about us by not including a desktop client like VMware server 1.0 has.

Are we doomed to VMware player instead ? Or maybe it's time to try VirtualBox :-)

3 comments:

  1. Damned vmware team, they throw away console but [russian censored word] WebUI doesn't work correctly even if i configure it manually. I have no ideas to configure this [russian censored word] server and where to get *working* virtualisation solution for x86_64 Linux distr.
    I *hate* vmware and it's developers, they crashes my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems now that management has to answer to shareholders of the new company. What the developers want and what the investors want hardly cross paths. For now we will have to try to find a common ground. Don't worry though. For every product that sucks, there is usually another one following in its footsteps. Things move pretty quickly these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. again, we need to read before install.
    Why keep new user changing but no right to choice staying with VM Server Console.

    OMG! I have saved the port number in it..... Now, I need to check out the config file for that.....

    Really No free lunch!

    Will VMWare follow Netscape steps?

    ReplyDelete