Friday, September 08, 2006

So you wanna be a Public Speaker

I started learning the art of public speaking in high school.


I was pretty much an introvert, I never understood why my class would vote a "silent type" to represent us in a public speaking competition. The only two reasons I can think of are (1) no one wanted our class to win and (2) no one wanted to represent the class so everyone figured the "silent type" would be silent enough not to object.

I could be wrong on both counts, in which case, the people who voted for the introvert to participate, really believed that he had it in him :-)



I think I did. I won first runner up on my first competition and I started participating in a few more.


I have to thank my adviser and my classmates at the time. They provided the opportunity and the encouragement. I just had to muster up enough confidence.


I doubt that I will ever be as good as these poeple in TED. I'd be lucky if I could at least have a quarter of their wit, presence, impact and humor on stage.


My favorites so far include :


No comments:

Post a Comment