Monday, March 06, 2006

Double Everything ... Almost

About a week or two ago I decided to do an upgrade on my PC.
It's less than a year old but with Apache and mulitple instances of AOLserver running, I felt it needed the boost.


I already have dual head monitors ... I got myself a dual core Ahtlon X2 3800+ and increased RAM to 2GB. The only other processor available was the 4400 and I'm rather superstitious about the 4.


All I can say so far is that 2 heads are indeed better than one and I'm not talking about the dual head monitors. The dual core CPU really works and I feel it when I'm watching the latest anime torrent while toiling away on multiple terminals, look Ma no skips.


I had to fiddle with the Linux Kernel. A dual core CPU needs an SMP Kernel to be able to utilize both cores. With SUSE Linux, however, it was as they say "a piece of cake" with Yast.

No comments:

Post a Comment