Friday, May 29, 2009

An exercise in Metacognition ... computer for sale ads

A Facebook buddy posted this as his status ...

60K PHP for brand-new MB466,2.0 GHz, IntelCore2Duo,160GB DDR3 Memory, 160GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, stndrd kbrd, aluminum unibo

What went thru my mind during the first few seconds of reading ....
  1. 60K PHP ? Kinda expensive for a PC
  2. Is this a laptop or desktop ?
  3. MB466 ? must be the model number of something.
  4. 2.0 IntelCore2Duo ? really expensive PC, I could probably assemble an entry level Core i7 with 60K
  5. 160GB DDR3 Memory ? WOW must be a server or workstation.
  6. aluminum unibo ?! Great Scott ! It's a Mac !
What I learned about myself ....
  1. I immediately knew it was an ad for a computer.
  2. I focus too much on the price, so much so that it influences everything else about the ad, maybe that's why I don't have a Mac :-)
  3. I don't know the specs for a Mac when I see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment